So you are petite, over forty, but still want to look and feel great. It is hard when the fashion industry tend to be aimed at seventeen year olds. The crop top does not usually cover it anymore. So how do you find fashion for petites over 40?
There are other factors to consider when looking at clothing like your colouring and body shape, but if we are just looking at your height then this post will defiantly help. Here are a few things to look out for when searching for petite clothing, especially fashion for petites over 40;
- High waisted will elongate your legs. Choose a garment with a wide waistband that holds that Middle Ages spread in too!
- Avoid loose jackets that fall below the top hip.
- When choosing jackets try to find them tailored and fitted.
- Avoid flouncy clothing and choose fitted where possible.
- Use simple block styles and colours and avoid too much fuss.
- A slender V neck will draw attention downwards giving you length.
- Heels are a great way to add length, though be aware, if you have slim legs choose stilettos and curvier legs choose wedges. The heel does not have to be really high so stick with what you are comfortable with.
- Choose brands cut specifically for petite women.
- Choose skinny or straight trousers depending on your body shape. Avoid large pockets and detailing. Keep it simple!
- Look in the kids section! I know you may be thinking I can not wear kids clothes, but when it comes to a simple pair of jeans why spend more? Age 13-14 is very similar to a UK size 8.
- If you have a top or jacket you love but it feels a little loose have it taken in by a professional. It can make all the difference.
- Slim maxi dresses will be fine on you.
- Black tights worn with slim black boots or shoes will elongate your legs
All of the options below are suitable for most skin tones and body shapes.
For The Office
Relaxing At Home
When looking for fashion for petites over 40, evening wear can often be a problem. Dresses are often made in maxi styles which will drown most petites. If you are attending an occasion that calls for a maxi dress choose one that is specifically designed for petite frames. Otherwise, with embellishment it can be hard to get the dress altered.
Sportswear can also be tricky for petite frames. Particularly if you are looking for performance wear. Find sports bras that will suit your frame and with yoga pants and leggings consider children’s ranges if the adult versions come up too long.