How Do Accessories Fit In Your Capsule Wardrobe?
So you are building a capsule wardrobe, and you are wondering what accessories you should include? You have come to the right place. I have worked with private clients and their wardrobes for over 21 years and can help you choose what to include. There are a few accessories I would suggest you consider for your capsule wardrobe. However, before we get to that, the first area you need to consider is what you need based on your lifestyle, taste and environment.
How To Choose Capsule Wardrobe Accessories
So before you go out and buy a whole new selection of accessories, first you need to consider what you need. I would also advise that you add the accessories to your wardrobe last. This way, you can see what clothes you have and how those accessories will compliment them. Ask yourself the following questions;
- Do I need shoes for a particular sport I regularly take part in?
- Do I need a specific type of shoe for work? Does it need to be flat, presentable, comfortable, a particular colour? What attributes does it need?
- Do I go out regularly and need evening shoes? If so, what is the occasion? What clothes would I wear from my capsule, and how do these shoes need to go with them?
- Do I need a bag for work? Can a bag for work be used for general use too? Do I need something to carry sports gear in? What does it need to carry, and what colour should it be to match what I wear most? Do I need an evening bag? What evening outfits do I generally wear and what colour bag would compliment them?
- Do you like to wear hats? What is the hat for? Warmth, sun protection, style or general use? What colour does it need to be to complement clothing you wear in that environment?
- Do some of your trousers, skirts or dresses need a belt? Does it need to be smart? Does it need to stand out? What colour should it be to go with the clothes you will wear it with? What width is best? Should it be buckle or an alternative?
- Do you wear a watch? What do you expect from your watch? Should it just tell you the time and date, or do you want it to do more? What colour should the strap be to go with the clothing you wear most and how big should the face be? Does it need to be delicate or functional?
- Do you wear scarves? Are they to keep you warm or to brighten an outfit? What material should they be to function for purpose? Do you need a neck, pashmina or woollen style? What colour would work best with what you wear?
- Do you wear a lot of jewellery? Do you mainly wear silver or gold, or a bit of both? Are you a delicate frame so need delicate jewellery or do you prefer bold costume jewellery? What will you wear it with both in terms of other jewellery and clothing?
Accessories For Your Capsule Wardrobe
When looking at bags, choose a smaller version if you are petite. With jewellery, gold usually suits warm tones and silver suits cool. To check if you are either, look at the inside of your wrist. If your veins look blue, you are likely cool, and if your veins look green, you are likely warm. I have included both smart and casual options to cover most work and general use. The colours of the capsule wardrobe accessories above will suit all skin tones.
So there you have it, my guides to capsule wardrobe accessories. What works for you? If you want long-term help with your capsule wardrobe take a look at my affordable personal styling membership.