What Do You Wear On A First Date?
So you are looking for help with what to wear on a first date? You have come to the right place. Whether you are going on a date for the first time or you are back in the dating game, this post will help you decide what to wear. Dressing for a date does not have to be complicated. Stick to these simple guidelines, and you’ll feel confident about your first date.
First Date Tips
Below are my top tips for what to wear on a first date.
- Check out your date’s profile – are they smart? Casual or somewhere in between? Use that as a guide for how you should dress.
- If you are not sure, go for smart casual. Maybe a pair of jeans or trousers with a simple plain white or plaid shirt. Alternatively, try a suit with a plain T-shirt.
- It might seem obvious, but make sure your clothes are washed and pressed. Your date does not want someone who can not look after themselves.
- Keep the colours in your outfit under three shades.
- Choose predominantly neutral shades like black, navy, stone, white, charcoal, grey and cream. Use any other colours to highlight.
- Avoid crazy patterns and logos. Stripes, florals and checks are fine, but avoid wearing them together.
- Check out the location you are meeting at and make sure there are no dress requirements. Do not be the person who turns up on a date and is not allowed in!
- Find someone in the public eye, or on social media who has a style you admire and use that as inspiration.
- If you need wardrobe help, get the assistance of a professional stylist.
Capsule Wardrobe For Men
To build a capsule wardrobe for men, keep your palette simple and clean. Consider navy, charcoal grey, white, black, stone and bottle green as base colours. All of those colours, bar black, will suit every skin tone. For more information on building a capsule wardrobe for men, check out this post. In the meantime, here are ten capsule wardrobe essentials for men.
1) Classic White Oxford Shirt
- essential for your men’s wardrobe
- It goes with everything; looks great under a blazer or cardigan.
- Element of formality to an outfit that works well in business settings and more casual occasions alike. The classic look has stood the test of time – it will complement any capsule wardrobe.
2) Straight Leg Jeans
- They go well with almost anything, Great for casual wear, but can be dressed up if needed. And you can never have too many pairs of jeans in the classic indigo colour.
- element of comfort – they’re easy to move around in and look great on anyone’s body shape (unlike tracksuit bottoms which can look sloppy)
3) Black Brogues
- A classic shoe that adds sophistication to any outfit. They’re also very versatile and can be worn with formal trousers for more business-appropriate occasions or dressed down with jeans when you want something smarter casual. Their versatility makes them an absolute wardrobe essential!
- Element of style – they add instant formality without making a huge statement.
- Which essentials list would be complete without mention of trainers? They’re comfortable, easy to slip on, and very stylish. If you need something for the gym or want them to look like they’re worn in, choose a colour other than white (they get grubby too quickly). However, if you want your trainers to have that ‘classic smart/casual look’, go for a simple white pair.
- Everyone needs a suit at some point. Try to keep it simple and stick to black or charcoal grey in a slim cut. Avoid any fancy detailing on the collar or cuffs then, that way, your suit will work for most occasions. Also, choose one that can be worn as a blazer on its own.
- Choose a T-shirt in a simple block colour or a stripe. Black, white, navy, or grey work best as they will mix and match easily with other items in your wardrobe.
- Rishi Sunak caused controversy this year for wearing a hoodie to a party political conference. Choose one in a simple colour like above. Knitted hoodies can also add an extra formality to an otherwise casual outfit.
- There is always a need for trousers when jeans are not suitable, but a suit is too smart. Have a pair in your capsule in navy, charcoal, stone or black.
10) Leather Belt
- When you’re looking for something smarter than jeans and a tee, the men’s suit is your best friend. A suede or leather belt is an easy way to add some extra style to any outfit – they’ll take your look from casual Friday in the office right through till Sunday afternoons spent having a meal at the local.
Most Importantly, Be Yourself
The most important thing about dressing for a first date is that you are yourself. Yes, make an effort, but do not change who you are. If your date expects their partner to wear a suit and you are a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy, how long will you keep that up? Keep it simple, do not start as someone else in the first place. You will know by the end of your first date if there is a spark or not, so be who you are. My best advice is to check out who they are and bring along your best self. How have your first dates gone?
For help identifying what clothes and styles work for you, check out my personal styling packages and get professional help before you go.